You don't need any equipment for this 10-minute high intensity interval training (HIIT) workout.
Do the following 11 exercises for 30 seconds each, with a 15-second rest in between each exercise. This will take you 8 minutes.
Throughout each exercise, focus on keeping your transverse abdominis engaged (suck your belly button in), spine elongated, chest lifted, shoulders back, and traps, neck and jaw relaxed.
Warm up for at least 2 minutes before you begin. Here are some ideas:
- March on the spot alternating between pumping arms, forward-circling arms, and backward-circling arms
- Free-style dance party to your favourite motivating song
- Wide side steps with side-to-side swinging arms
And don't forget to stretch! Scroll to the bottom of this page to see a few of my favourite stretches.
1. Jumping jacks
- Land as softly as possible, absorbing the shock to protect your joints
2. Push ups
- Whether you're pushing up from your knees or toes, focus on distributing the weight evenly through your palms and fingers
- Or try these inchworm push ups!
3. Lateral hops
- Pay attention to your foot and ankle position throughout this exercise – land with a strong ankle and engaged foot, weight evenly distributed between the heel, base of the big toe and outside edge of your foot
- Powerfully swing your arms in the direction of movement to help propel you side to side
4. Triceps dips
- You can do this exercise on the floor or make it more challenging by placing your hands on a secure ledge or chair seat to increase the range of motion
- Don't let your shoulders creep up toward your ears
5. Squat jumps
- Get nice and low, like you're compressing a powerful spring , and use both arms and legs to shoot yourself straight up in the air, as high as you can go
- Play close attention to your alignment on the descent, landing softly with equal pressure around the periphery of each foot
6. Dynamic lunges
- Begin in a lunge position with both knees at 90 degrees and spring straight up into the air, switching legs at your highest point, and landing softly with both feet at the same time
- Start laying flat on your front and push your pelvis into the ground as you slowly lift your upper and lower body up in unison
8. Run with high knees
- Powerfully drive your opposite hand and knee up into the air as you run on the spot
- As with each jumping exercise, be sure to land with control, absorbing the shock by landing as softly as possibly and keeping feet and ankles in proper alignment
9. Plank with knee tucks
- Engage every muscle from head to toe, as though you were a rigid board, as you alternate bringing your right knee to your right elbow and your left knee to your left elbow
- Begin with knees slightly bent and arms recoiled behind you, and jump straight up into the air as high as you can
- Land in a deep squat and immediately place your hands on the ground right in front of your feet
- Shoot your legs straight back into a plank position
- Do a push up and at the top of the movement, jump your feet back behind your hands, and jump straight up into the air as high as you can
11. Russian twists
- Sit on the ground, lean back slightly, suck your belly button in, contract your rectus abdominis to flex your spine, and lift your feet off the ground
- Hold this strongly engaged core position as you twist to look over your left shoulder and then over your right shoulder