Since moving back to Vancouver after almost nine months in Sydney, Australia last year we've been in a condo without a balcony – which means no BBQ. We've really been missing our steaks so I've recently started pan-searing steaks in my cast iron skillet, and they've turned out incredibly well.
As the temperature rises and our sunny condo warms up I've been moving away from roasting side dishes in the oven to sauteing them on the stove. There are so many options for sides and experimenting is a great way to use up what you have in your cupboards and fridge as well as use a variety of vitamin- and nutrient-packed produce.
I always make enough for lunches the next day: I have half a steak for each meal and my husband has a whole one for each meal.
- 3 steaks
- 3 tsp seasoning (Montreal steak spice or if I don't have that on hand I use a mixture of 1 part sea salt to 1 part garlic powder to 2 parts coarse ground pepper)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp butter
- Rub seasoning into both sides of steaks and let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Turn on exhaust fan and add oil and butter to skillet, swirling around to coat bottom evenly.
- Immediately add steaks to skillet and cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds per side for medium rare, occasionally shaking skillet to un-stick steaks.
- Remove from skillet and into covered dish for about 3 minutes to let juices redistribute before serving.
Zucchini and Peppers Ingredients
- 1 zucchini, chopped into half moons
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Zucchini and Peppers Instructions
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes, occasionally shaking pan.
- Turn each piece of zucchini over and add peppers to pan, occasionally shaking pan, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle vegetables with salt, tossing to coat evenly.
- Serve immediately with a slice of buttered multi-grain bread.
Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes Ingredients
- 3 cups chopped potatoes
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In large bowl, toss all ingredients together, mixing well.
- Spread ingredients onto large baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes, or until potatoes begin to crisp and sprouts are slightly tender.
- Stir potatoes and sprouts once or twice during cooking.