Something about my British heritage makes me love fried bread. I don't have it often, but this morning I was really craving the double whammy of fried egg and fried bread. I updated it and made it feel significantly more healthy with a large leaf of fresh basil. It really hit the spot.
Speaking of British, are you following Will and Kate's North American tour? I love them so much I can barely stand it. I can't help but think of how proud Diana would be of her eldest son, who seems like such a genuine, down-to-earth and humble man, and who seems to have met an equally lovely soul mate that he's smitten with. Kate is incredibly stylish (and commendable on recycling so many pieces of clothing and shoes) and I've been following her tour wardrobe, with my favourite outfit of hers so far being the green Diane von Furstenberg "Maja dress" she wore on July 8. Gorgeous!
- 1 slice sprouted grain bread (I love Silver Hills bread)
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 fresh basil leaf
- pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spray skillet with oil.
- Butter both sides of bread and cut out a hole, leaving about 3/4 of an inch around the edge.
- Place pieces of bread side by side in skillet and crack an egg into the hole.
- Cook for about 1 minute, sprinkle egg with pepper, top with basil leaf, flip over and cook to desired doneness (I usually remove the skillet from the heat right away at this point).