I bought a 4.3 kg local, antibiotic-free, grain-fed turkey from JD Farms Specialty Turkey, and for four days we ate turkey dinner with all the trimmings.
All that was left today was a large handful of leftover turkey, which I planned on doing something with for lunch.
I felt like staying in my pajamas – not going to the grocery store – so I endeavoured to make lunch with what we had on hand: whole wheat pitas, BBQ sauce, a tin of pizza sauce, a red onion, and cheese.
I cut the turkey into the teeniest, tiniest pieces and mixed it with BBQ sauce, and there was the perfect amount for four pita pizzas. Four super delicious pita pizzas!
- 1 1/2 cups turkey, chopped
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 small tin pizza sauce
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Pick through turkey to make sure there are no bones or cartilage, and chop into small pieces.
- In small bowl, combine turkey and BBQ sauce.
- Place two pitas each on two baking trays.
- Spread 1/4 of pizza sauce on each pita and top with 1/4 of turkey, 1/4 of red onion and 1/4 of cheese.
- Place baking sheets side by side on middle shelf of oven and cook pizzas for 10 minutes.
- Turn broiler on high and cook for 3 more minutes, until cheese begins to brown and bubble.
- Remove pizza from oven and let cool for at least 3 minutes before cutting into quarters and serving.