This breakfast is so tasty and satisfying, and not too difficult to whip up if you have all of the ingredients on hand. The homemade salsa is the only thing you may want to make ahead of time if you're not full of determination and time first thing in the morning.
I was inspired to make this recipe by my brother's amazing girlfriend. She is a very sensible eater and always orders this for breakfast when we go out (while I tend to order bacon, sausage and French toast drowning in syrup).
I've recently discovered the best coffee ever. Once you know what it tastes like, you may be inspired to dance in front of your coffee pot while it percolates, anticipating the joy that's about to touch your lips.
It's the 123°W Longitude Blend from local roaster 49th Parallel, and I love that I can pick it up around the corner at my friendly neighbourhood cafe, The Buzz Cafe (located in the Harrison Galleries, "Vancouver’s oldest Fine Art gallery").
You can use store-bought salsa if you don't want to make your own.
This recipe serves 2 in my home: 2 eggs for my husband and 1 egg for me.
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 2 small, whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1/4 avocado, chopped
- Heat 1 tsp oil in medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, stirring often, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add onion, continuing to stir, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add black beans and chili powder, stirring to combine with garlic and onions.
- Turn heat to low and cook for another 3 minutes.
- In separate frying pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot, add butter, swirling to coat, and immediately add eggs. Cook to your liking.
- Assemble tortilla, beans, avocado and eggs on plates, and top with salsa.