Clockwise from top left: One of executive chef Ned Bell's mouthwatering BC spot prawn dishes, YEW's seafood charcuterie board, bartender Justin Taylor's "YEW Shake It" whiskey sour cocktail, and pastry chef Bruno Feldeisen's to-die-for apple pie. (Images: Catherine Roscoe Barr)
791 West Georgia St, Vancouver, BC | yewrestaurant.com
Why YEW Rocks:
- Using 100 percent Ocean Wise seafood and ethically sourced, naturally raised, antibiotic- and hormone-free animal products, YEW’s incredible menu is always changing, in tune with the seasons, and inspired by passionate local producers with whom executive chef Ned Bell has cultivated close relationships.
- Sommelier Emily Walker’s seafood-friendly wine list is fabulous on its own (and many of the selections come from organic, biodynamic, sustainable, and family run vineyards), but with 50 percent off each and every bottle on Wine Down Sundays, the by-the-glass wine preservation program featuring 14 carefully selected wines in 2-, 4-, and 6-ounce pours, and her Wine of the Week, it’s super fabulous
- Bartender Justin Taylor’s cocktail menu is just plain awesome, and many of the signature and classic drinks contain barrel aged spirits, made in-house and displayed on shelves behind the bar. His “We make it, Yew Shake it” whiskey sour is particularly lovely, and quite the workout since you’re doing the cocktail shaking yourself.
- Epic weekend brunch. Three courses. Decadent and delicious. Enough said.
- “All dinner guests are given one of Ned’s power cookies to take home at the close of their meal,” says public relations director Kate Colley. “The sentiment being that the guest will eat the cookie for a healthy breakfast and be reminded of the great dinner they had the night before.” How sweet is that? Here’s the recipe.
The YEW Team:
"Our food focus is being seasonally fresh, globally inspired, but locally created and sustainable. Food doesn't need to be complicated, but it is important to know where it comes from."
"I always look for local, organic, independent farmers to provide us with the freshest foods at their peak ripeness. For example, we are using Vista D'oro apples for our apple pie, Glasshouse Farms strawberries in the strawberry trifle, and Golden Ears Cheesecrafters provides us a truly unique quark cheese that we use in all our cheesecake recipes.”
"As a Sommelier there is no greater privilege than working in a city where we have access to beautiful local ingredients and benefit from the proximity to such diverse wine growing regions in our own backyard. Our aim is to offer a well-rounded selection of local and international wines designed to enhance the flavours of our seafood concept and elevate your dining experience."
"YEW's cocktail list is simple. It's everyday favourites that are elevated by our passions and playfulness, like our unique barrel-aging program. Our drinks are uncomplicated, approachable and friendly, while keeping true to our seafood concept."
YEW in the News:
- Silver Medal for Best Seafood at the 2013 Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards, Vancouver Magazine, May 1, 2013
- Vancouver and Whistler 2013 “Where to Dine” Critic’s Choice winner for Sustainable Seafood, Where Magazine, May 1, 2013
- YEW Restaurant + Bar at Vancouver's Four Seasons Hotel Launches 100 Percent Ocean Wise Menu, BC Living, June 25, 2012
- Four Seasons’ YEW restaurant + bar delivers stellar seafood with a West Coast vibe, The Georgia Straight, May 30, 2012
- Sea change puts Yew in class by itself, The Globe and Mail, January 27 2012